THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
Bush Thanks Veterans, Then Cuts Their Health Care
President Bush spent the Memorial Day weekend thanking the nation's veterans for their service, saying "we acknowledge the debt [we owe them] by showing our respect and gratitude."  Yet, his rhetoric came just hours after the Bush Administration announced new plans to slash veterans health care funding if it returns to power in 2005.
Late last week,
the Administration released a memo detailing a plan to cut $1 billion from the
Veterans Administration  in the first budget of its second term. The cut
would come even after the White House has tried to close veterans hospitals
throughout the country,  and has proposed veterans health care budgets that
have been criticized by veterans groups and the President's own Veterans Affairs
secretary.  It also comes after the president decided to cut off 164,000
veterans from their existing prescription drug coverage,  and threatened
to veto  any bill that would allow veterans to receive both the military
pension they were
promised, and any disability compensation to which they are entitled.
Visit Misleader.org for more about Bush Administration distortion. http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2919150&l=38287
1. Presidential Weekly Radio Address Speech, WhiteHouse.gov, 05/29/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2919150&l=38288.
2. "Democrats rip Bush's outline for cuts in domestic programs," Palm Beach Post, 5/28/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2919150&l=38289.
3. "VA Seeks Major Hospital Overhaul," CBS News, 8/05/03, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2919150&l=38290.
4. "President Bush's Veterans' Budget Called Woefully Inadequate and Inexcusable," Senate Democratic Policy Committee, 2/12/04,
5. "VA Cuts Some Veterans' Access to Health Care," Washington Post, 1/17/03, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2919150&l=38292.
6. " Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill," Washington Post, 10/7/02, p.A02.